First I would like to thank all of you for being willing to explore the potential of this artist community. Personally, I searched for every possible tool I could devise to help artists, whether it be a job board catered to our needs, community articles, and even a podcast all with the focus of educating artists on the business of art. Unfortunately, this endeavor has been extremely time consuming and now expensive. The platform I use (Ning.com) is now going to charge us $250 dollars a year. In 2010, we made $100 from the job board. I was hoping that between the various avenues of incidental revenue I could cover the cost of running the site. With the price increase that is not the case.
Unless, we can come up with another $150 dollars BeYourArt.com will have to close it doors. Since I don’t have the time to maintain the site and keep deleting mass influx of sex/dating profiles, this might be for the best. Again thank you all for what you have put into this great community. This has been an invaluable experience for me and I’ve learned an immensely about what it takes to run such a site, but more importantly I come to love all your art and your individual passion to share it.
The provider Ning.com doesn’t list when the BeYourArt.com will come up for renewal. I’m waiting to hear back from them. I’ll keep you all posted as to the closing date. Please send an questions to email@example.com. Thank you all again and good luck on your artistic endeavors.
Creator of BeYourArt.com
BeYourArt.com now has job listings for artists. Look over what’s available. Spread the word to galleries, publishers, and more to post their own jobs.
Let us know if you have questions and what you would like to see on BeYourArt.com as we continue to grow.
BeYourArt.com is a community and resource dealing with the business aspects of living as an artist. We hope to build this resource by expanding our article and podcast databases on relevant topics in art.
Please submit your articles using our Submission Form or your send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the article attached as a Word or Pages document with your full name, title of the piece at the top, and a link to your free profile on BeYourArt.com. All articles will be judged on the quality of the work and no other criteria. The articles are currently unpaid since BeYourArt.com is a new nonprofit company, but you will receive the publishing credit if your article is accepted. Below is a list of articles we are accepting.
- Listener submitted podcasts featuring lessons on craft, thoughts on living as an artist, and more. Submit podcasts to email@example.com.
- Dialogue on living as an artist, based on listener submitted questions. Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Practicalities of the Surviving Artist
- The “Practicalities of the Surviving Artist” series is still underway. These articles will be co-published in print with The Improper North Shoreian Magazine. They must be between 600-750 words and provide some practical advice to artists. Each article will be focused on a single topic and point.
- We are accepting reviews of organizations and websites affiliated with art. These articles should be focused on how the website or organization is a viable resource to artists. These articles should be around a 1000 words.
Living As An Artist
- We have started a new series entitle “Living As An Artist.” We are accepting articles on the personal experiences of trying to live as an artist. These articles need to have a focus on providing advice to other artist through these experiences. These articles should be from 600-750 words. There is a chance that these articles will appear in print.
- Any relevant first-hand news related to art can be submitted. These should be from 300-500 words unless reasoned otherwise.